The Swansea Memorial Library entrance is located in the main lobby of the Swansea Town Hall. Please check the library’s opening hours as they are different than those of the Town Hall. The library is one of the smallest branches in the Toronto Public Library system. It was founded in 1919 as a memorial to the Swansea veterans (22 who died and 150 who returned) from World War I. It specializes in material for children and seniors, provides complete inter-library loan services and free wifi.
Swansea Family Story Time is offered regularly throughout the year.
Stories, songs, rhymes and activities for children age 6 and under with their parents or caregivers. No registration is required and seating is on a first come first served basis …
What: Summer story time will be running even though the Library is being renovated!
When: @ 10:30 am Thursdays July 5 to August 23
Where: Rousseau Room, main floor
Extra: Special entertainment July 12 with Magician Scott Dietrich and on August 23 with Mystic Drumz!
Swansea Book Club Fridays: The library hosts a Swansea Book Club on about 9 Friday afternoons each year. Check out the dates and book selections at right and click here to find out more about the books, dates and registration!
The Swansea Memorial Library offers a limited amount of passes to cultural institutions like the AGO, the Museum of Inuit Art, City of Toronto Museums and the Textile Museum. The pass provides full admission for a family of up to two adults and up to five children, depending on the Museum. For more information please call or visit the branch.
The Swansea Memorial Library came into existence in 1919 out of funds held by the Women’s Patriotic League who wanted “a memorial to our Swansea men who have-seen active service in the Great War”. A Library Association was established and a Board of Directors elected, with Mrs. R.C. Smith as its first president. On November 30, 1919 Swansea Memorial Public Library was officially opened. As a result of the Public Library Act of 1920, Swansea Memorial became a Free Library under the control of the Rural School Board. When Swansea was incorporated as a village in 1926 there was another reorganization of the Library Board. The new board consisted of seven members: three appointed by Village Council and three appointed by the School Board, with the Village Reeve being an ex-officio member.
By 1930, it was decided that attendance at the Library warranted its opening five nights a week. In 1933 a long campaign was started to persuade Village Council of the necessity for a library building. This matter was not resolved until 1959, when the library moved into its present location in what was then the Village Municipal Offices Building. This same year, 1959, saw an arrangement made with the Toronto Public Library. The year 1961 saw the start of regular visits by classes from Swansea Public School (to be introduced to the atmosphere and use of the public libraries). In 1967, the Village of Swansea Memorial Library Board ceased to exist and management of the library was taken over by the Toronto Public Library Board.
The Swansea Memorial Library is still very much a neighbourhood branch where a friendly village atmosphere exists. Swansea Memorial Library, one of the smallest branches of the Toronto Public Library, may never reach the size of other Toronto Public Library branches but it has nonetheless won a secure place in the life of the community. It is a place where people of all ages turn up to work, learn and enjoy themselves.